Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Straight from the heart

It was a sight any author could be awed by. Inside PageTurners on MG Road, a young, interested audience attended an interactive session with an author whose age qualifies for senior citizenship. This is a testimony to the fact that Sudha Murty’s writing has indeed struck a chord with the young minds. Murty writes for children as well as for a general audience.

While she sipped on her welcome coffee, a surprising guest caught her unaware. Famous actor, playwright and director Girish Karnad joined the audience as he presented himself as an ardent fan of Sudha Murthy’s writing. Published by Penguin Books India, some of her cherished works are Wise And Otherwise, Dollar Bahu, Mahashweta, Gently Falls The Bakula and others.

A prolific writer that she is, Sudha Murty began writing at a very young age. “I started writing when I was seven years old. I used to write essays and short stories. I was 12 when I had my first published story. I grew up reading Chandamama. It was my bible,” she smiles.

Sudha Murty, who was influenced by Shivram Karanth and SL Bhyrappa, said:  “My writing, however, is simple. I write because I enjoy it. I don’t believe in delivering sermons, for I feel I am not significant enough to do so.”

Full report here New Indian Express

No comments:

Post a Comment