Thursday, March 5, 2009

Shobhaa De turns activist!

To protest the recent attacks on women in two of Karnataka's leading cities, Bangalore and Mangalore, author Shobhaa De has formed the Sita Sene.

The group will gather volunteers - men and women - in Mumbai and meet at the Gateway of India on March 8, International Women's Day to protest.

According to information on her blog, a strong action plan is advocated, along with a helpline for women in distress and other measures.

Her blog reads, "I read the reports of fresh attacks on women in Bangalore and felt sickened. `This must stop!' I said to myself. The idea of launching a Sita Sena to counter the Ravanas came to me in a flash. I communicated it to my dear, dear 'blogdost' Aham, who immediately swung into action and created a site. His plan is to congregate at the Gateway of India on March 8, International Women's Day," she wrote on the blog.

She warns against people not taking action. "This is why I want the campaign to be a pan-India initiative. And soon we will have several Kabuls sprouting up all over India. Shame the men. Show your contempt. Speak up!"

No comments:

Post a Comment