Wednesday, August 4, 2010

We want to live as women, and we want our dignity: A Revathi

“All I ask is that you accept as worthy of respect what you’ve all along considered unnatural and illegal. We want to live as women and if we are granted the facilities that will enable us do so, we will live as other women do,” writes A Revathi, a transgender activist, in her autobiography, The Truth About Me, published by Penguin Books, India, the first of its kind to be written by one belonging to the third sex, a hijra.

The book will be launched officially in the city on August 6 at Reliance Time Out, 74, Ground Floor, Prestige Feroze building, Cunningham Road at 6.30 pm.

Revathi is the former director of Sangama, an organisation for sexual minorities that started working for greater awareness and education of issues related to sexual minorities in August 1999. “After beginning work at Sangama, I came to realise that I am not alone, and I need not be ashamed of who I am anymore. In fact, I now proudly proclaim that I am a complete woman,” Revathi said.

Full report here DNA

No comments:

Post a Comment