Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Hastings author brings Indian architecture to life

The cedar and stone abodes of India's Himachal Pradesh province may be a long way from Hastings, but one local resident is being praised for her work to bring awareness to the buildings.

Skye Morrison, owner of The Doors Guest House in Hastings, was recently awarded the Critics Choice Award for Best Written Work on Architecture from the Foundation For Architectural and Environmental Awareness for her book Matra: Ways of Measuring Vernacular Built Forms of Himachal Pradesh. Co-written with Professor Jay Thakkar from the School of Interior Design at CEPT University in Ahmedabad, India, the project was something of a surprise for the folklore expert.

"I ended up writing this book, from scratch, in just four months," Dr. Morrison explained. "It was an interesting process for me because I wanted to know that I could write a book, but would have never in a million years thought this would be the book I would write. But when the opportunity presented itself I just thought, why not?"

Full report here Northumberland news

No comments:

Post a Comment