Monday, September 13, 2010

Ceasefire urgently needed for peace talks: Arundhati

Noted author and Booker Prize winner Arundhati Roy on Sunday said a " ceasefire from both sides" ( Maoists and security forces) was "absolutely urgent" for peace talks and the process should involve a group of experienced people who could mediate between the government and the Naxals.

Stating that the government's stand of asking Maoists to abjure violence did not have any meaning when operations against them were going on, Roy said she thought it was absolutely urgent that there should be an "unconditional" ceasefire from both sides.

She, however, ruled out being a part of peace talks, saying she did not have the "skills" required to be a mediator. "I would not like to be (a mediator or part of people's committee to mediate between government and Maoists). I don't think I have those skills... I don't think I am good at it. I am a maverick... I'll try. I don't know how to think about it," Roy told a TV channel in an interview on Sunday, Sep 12.

Full report here Times of India 

No comments:

Post a Comment