Sunday, March 28, 2010

'Should I die to prove Pakistan is dangerous?'

She is 27, serious-minded and is still haunted by the violent death of her adored father. After her aunt, Benazir, was killed, Fatima Bhutto described the Greek tragedy that the Bhutto dynasty had become: "It seems like every 10 years we bury a Bhutto killed violently and way before their time." In her new book on her famous, famously tragic family, Fatima is critical of Benazir's widower, President Asif Ali Zardari. She talks about the current "dangers of living in Pakistan" to Rashmee Roshan Lall.

The first reference you make to Asif Ali Zardari, president of Pakistan, is “my aunt’s oleaginous husband”. The relationship may be bitter, but surely he couldn’t be that bad if your book is allowed to be published and you live reasonably comfortably in Pakistan? 


I think the book clearly discusses the violence and intimidation used by Zardari. I’m not living ‘reasonably comfortably’ in Pakistan, I live on the street where my father and six other men were gunned down. I cross that street every time I leave my house. The book isn’t published in Pakistan, it’s published in India. There is no Urdu translation of the book. Do I have to die to convince you of the dangers of living in Pakistan? 



Could you ever see a Barack Obama taking office in Pakistan? 

What do you mean? Someone of mixed race? Someone born in Indonesia? Someone who graduated from Harvard?

Full report here Times of India 

No comments:

Post a Comment