Sunday, March 14, 2010

Obsession with India cripples Pak diplomacy: Rushdie

From The Midnight's Children to The Enchantress of Florence, author Salman Rushdie has been the subject of relentless admiration in most times and sometimes incomprehensible hatred. Excerpts from an interview.

How does it feel to return to the country you grew up in?
I always love coming. I come as much as I can. I was here two months ago, but not in Delhi. So it's nice to be here to catch up with old friends.

One of the fascinating trips you made was with your second son a few years ago, and you guys made a travelogue out of that. What is it that fascinates you about this country?
It's just about where I am from. It was about 10 years ago that I came with him (son), and he came again with me two months ago. He's getting the bug now, which I like.

Is there any standout memory of those trips?
For me, a country is its people more than the places. I have managed to preserve and develop a lot of close friendships here.

Full interview here  India Today

No comments:

Post a Comment