Monday, March 8, 2010

Games writers play

Fantasy fiction writer China Mieville does a waltz with words while Mini Anthikad-Chhibber listens entranced

Talking to China Mieville is like doing a ballet with words. The London-based fantasy writer uses words with joyful abandon tempered with extraordinary eruditeness. The word play starts with his name.

“My parents were hippies and named me after cockney rhyming slang. China plate rhymes with mate so you remove plate and are left with China for mate. Though not used very often now, you do find people referring to their old friends as ‘my old china'.”

In town for a reading organised by Toto Funds the Arts, China gamely spoke of the political slant in his writing.

“People imagine there is some alchemical way in which politics is merged into my writing. For me it is a non-issue. There is no juggling. I have been on the Left for a long time, so it is only natural that my novels would have a political texture. I see the world politically. However, I am passionately devoted to telling a story and for those who are not interested in politics, the story has to sustain.”

Full report here Hindu

No comments:

Post a Comment