Sunday, July 18, 2010

'We are not a conduit for some supra-force but for ourselves’

Guy Sorman is a French intellectual championing free market, democracy and human rights

What does spirituality mean to you?
It has no religious dimension. It is the answer to one question : what do I stand for?
I have one life - what have I done with it, what do I do with it ? What are the ideas and convictions that I stand for?  So spirituality is to be in agreement with the ideas and convictions I decided to stand for.

Did those ideas evolve over time?
Not in my case. They were determined by the story of my family. I come from a family which was victimized by dictatorship, totalitarianism, racism. Maybe because of this family history I decided to stand for individual freedom in any field, should it be religious, political or behavioral. This is what I would define as my spirituality.


You firmed up those ideas very young?
Definitely. At the beginning it was something very spontaneous, I was very individualistic myself, including in my religious behavior. I was educated as a Jewish boy and was always getting into a fight with the rabbi, which actually is very much part of the ever-questioning Jewish tradition. I was always fighting for people being different, and myself being different. I was a contrarian and I remain a contrarian. What has changed is a more elaborate foundation for those ideas. I have enriched those ideas, but I didn’t change course.


Full interview here Indian Express

No comments:

Post a Comment