Sunday, July 18, 2010

Healing touch

Award-winning journalist Geeta Anand launches her debut novel in India

“The fodder for this book came to me in 2001. It is 2010 now and I am pleased that after a lot of struggle the book is finally releasing in India,” said Geeta Anand, the Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist and now debutant author at the launch of her novel, The Cure (Random House, Rs 399) at The American Centre on Thursday evening.

Anand’s statement summed up her anxiety for her first book, that has also been adapted into a film, Extraordinary Measures, by Hollywood director Tom Vaughan starring Harrison Ford. The film released in the US in January. “To be honest I wasn’t even sure that the book would be complete by then, but even before I had completed the first draft of the novel, I was informed by my publisher that Harrison Ford was keen to make a movie on this topic. That thrilled me and I picked up pace. I constantly stayed in touch with the production team for developing the script,” she added. Although the book released first in the US and Italy, Anand, who works with The Wall Street Journal and is based out of Mumbai, found it difficult to find a publisher in India.

The book captures the true story of an American couple’s struggle to help save their two children who have been diagnosed with a potentially life threatening condition, called Pompe disorder. Since medical research of the disorder is in nascent stages, there is still no permanent cure for it. Anand began writing the book in 2004 after taking “six months leave which got extended to nine months for the entire first draft.”

Full report here Indian Express

No comments:

Post a Comment