Wednesday, July 14, 2010

The Red Saree and other disasters

It's too hot and muggy to dwell on any subject at length. Which is why I'm merely jotting down my impressions of recent events. They may not be exactly riveting, but I can assure you that they're not as deathly dull as the book of the month: The Red Saree.

I finally got access to a few chapters of this highly disputed book on the Internet: Javier Moro's The Red Saree. I hasten to assure Sonia Gandhi that she needn't worry - no one will take it seriously. If you don't believe me, check out the opening sentences: "Sonia Gandhi simply cannot believe that the man she loves is dead, and she will no longer feel his caresses or the warmth of his kisses. She will never again see that sweet smile that one day swept her off her feet."

Moro then goes on to give tedious descriptions of hairstyles and clothes, down to the large sunglasses she wore to Rajiv Gandhi's funeral, and the colour of Rahul Gandhi's spectacle frames as well. Moro is meticulous, if nothing else. Even an idiot can tell that it's not a biography - it's a soppy Mills & Boon! Written by a man at that - eek!

Full report here Hard News

No comments:

Post a Comment