Monday, April 5, 2010

Children's Writing in India - A Catch-22 Scenario

A decade or so ago, just after the publication of my first book for children, I went with a brand new ms to a rather well known publisher in New Delhi. He was a reasonably big name in publishing and also the editor of the Publisher’s guild/association. I had met him at a conference and taken time from him.

I reported at the Publisher’s office dot on time. However, when I gave my card at the reception I was directed to meet not the father but the son. While the father seemed to be a man of the world, urbane, suave and shrewd, the son appeared to be young and brash. He flipped through the manuscript like a doctor going through promotional literature on the latest female contraceptive and looked at me.

“Mr…..” he stopped for a few seconds looked at my visiting card, “Yes, Mr. Kumar. Your ms looks interesting. But I am afraid it doesn’t quite fit into our scheme of things right away.”

I knew this was the standard lingo most publishers used for the ‘golden boot’.

Full report here Desicritics

No comments:

Post a Comment