Monday, April 5, 2010

Denver literary group to honor Bharati Mukherjee

Indian-born author Bharati Mukherjee didn't learn English as her first language, but it provided the best path for her self- expression.

"It was so much easier for me to live an imaginary life in English," Mukherjee says. "I was free to invent, free to disassociate myself from the taboos . . . the social strictures, the class strictures, of my personal life." "Since then, I found that I can write fiction in English and not my mother tongue," she says.

The 69-year-old author will be honored for acclaimed novels like The Tree Bride and The Holder of the World on Thursday with the 2010 Evil Companions Literary Award at the Oxford Hotel.

The award pays tribute to a group of Denver writers who gathered in the 1950s and '60s and fancied themselves the "Evil Companions." Past award winners include T. Coraghessan Boyle, Annie Proulx and Pam Houston.

Full report here Denver Post

No comments:

Post a Comment