Saturday, April 3, 2010

“I am the least recognisable Bhutto”

Fatima Bhutto is excited about her India tour for her memoir Songs of Blood and Sword. “I’m going to wear a saree at every city launch. A Maharashtrian silk for Pune, a south silk for Bangalore, it’s a good cultural relations strategy, don’t you think?” she smiles, as we begin the interview in her hotel room in Delhi. The 28-year-old writer-journalist is the daughter of slain political leader Murtaza Bhutto and niece of Pinky Aunty, Benazir Bhutto. “You didn’t know she was called Pinky? I called her Wadi and we used to read books together,” says Fatima. This was before 1996, before her father was shot dead two days after his 42 nd birthday.

Songs of Blood and Sword (Penguin, Rs 695) was launched in Karachi on March 31st before Fatima left for Delhi and she does not know if Benazir’s family has read the book. “I don’t think they’ll read it. We launched the book at the park where my father was killed. 700 people showed up and I am thankful for such a great show of solidarity in a time when the situation in Pakistan is so difficult,” says Fatima .

Full report here Indian Express

No comments:

Post a Comment