Thursday, September 15, 2011

‘I’m not looking for revenge’


After meeting chief minister Omar Abdullah on Wednesday, the journalist and writer David Devadas told this newspaper, “I’m not looking for revenge.”

All he wanted is that there should be a system of justice working in the state. “That may be idealistic, but that is what one aspires for,” he added. In a letter to the CM, Mr Devdas has accused the police of abusing and badly beating him up after a mix-up at peak traffic hour on September 5.

In a letter to the Chief Justice of India, Mr Devdas narrated his first hand experience at the hands of the J&K police and spoke of “attempts to fabricate the sequence of events that led to my being bodily battered”. He also wrote, “I now fear for my life."

The chief minister has asked him to remain in Kashmir and continue his work. “He said he was sorry about what had happened to me and assured me that action would be taken against the erring police personnel.”

Full report here Asian Age

No comments:

Post a Comment