Monday, August 8, 2011

'A good writer stays true to self'


Author Ashwin Sanghi talks about his favourite literature and on what keeps him grounded

Page turner : The last book I read was Emperor of all Maladies: A Biography Of Cancer by New York-based oncologist Siddhartha Mukherjee. Of all the writers I have read, Vladimir Nabokov has made the biggest impression on me because he, despite living through the 1917 February Revolution, forced exile amidst the anti-Semitism in Nazi Germany, the two World Wars and quite a lot of controversy, was an author who never gave up.

Life lessons : I believe that the day one stops being spiritual, one ends up being religious. I live by the adage that the only certainty in life is death. We should, therefore, learn to live for the day and be content.

Writer's formula : Admiration from my readers inspire me and the only 'formula' I believe in towards making a good writer is: 'to thine own self be true!' I remember how a man once got in touch with me to tell me that he was so engrossed in my book that he had to take a day off from work just so that he could finish reading it. Such kind of responses from my readers is extremely endearing and it keeps me going.

Full report here Times of India 

No comments:

Post a Comment