Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Tweet lands Taslima Nasrin in controversy


Exiled Bangladeshi author Taslima Nasrin has willy-nilly whipped up a storm in Nepal, with a comment on social networking site Twitter that was interpreted by some as casting doubts on the republic’s sovereignty.

The 48-year-old controversial author, whose books have been banned in Bangladesh forcing her to go into exile since 1994, had been invited to Nepal to attend its first-ever literary festival held in Kathmandu valley from Friday to Sunday.

Taslima was to have released an English translation of one of her books at the Ncell Literature Festival, also attended by former BBC chief in India, Mark Tully, on Saturday.

However, she missed the flight from New Delhi, where she currently resides, as she had left her passport at home by mistake.

By way of an apology, the maverick writer wrote on her Twitter page: “My Nepali friends, I missed my flight to go to Kathmandu today. I forgot to bring my passport as I didn’t consider Nepal a foreign country!”

Full report here Hindustan Times

No comments:

Post a Comment