Sunday, September 5, 2010

Spreading the message of sharing and learning

Kamal Haasan inaugurates book collection drive

Actor Kamal Haasan places the first set of books
on the 'Aviva Great Wall of Education' presented
by The Hindu, in Chennai on Sunday, Sep 5
It was a rather special celebration of ‘Teachers' Day' here on Sunday, when actor Kamal Haasan placed a few books he had brought on the ‘Aviva Great Wall of Education' presented by The Hindu. It marked the formal launch of a large book collection drive to support children from underprivileged sections.

“I am not wondering why I am here this morning. I am a high school drop-out. Thanks to books and my extramural teachers who taught me a lot, I am here today. They were also kind enough to lend me books,” the actor said.

Emphasising the role of books in shaping individuals and giving them access to knowledge, Mr. Haasan said the drive might look simple, but was a great one. “I feel honoured to be here.”

The ‘Aviva Great Wall of Education', presented by The Hindu in Chennai, is an initiative of Aviva Life Insurance to involve the community and collect books that would later be distributed to students of disadvantaged sections, with the support of the State's Sarva Shiksha Abhiyan wing, and non-governmental organisations Save The Children and Vidyarambam Trust.

Full report here Hindu

No comments:

Post a Comment