Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Article in Karnataka daily is atrocious: Taslima

Exiled Bangladeshi writer Taslima Nasreen on March 9 said the appearance of an article in a Karnataka newspaper purportedly written by her, which triggered violent protests in Shimoga and Hassan towns, is a "deliberate attempt to malign" her and "misuse" her writings to create disturbance in the society.

Nasreen said in a statement made available to PTI that she never penned any article for a newspaper in Karnataka.

"The incident that occurred in Karnataka on Monday shocked me. I learned that it was provoked by an article written by me that appeared in a Karnataka newspaper. But I have never written any article for any Karnataka newspaper in my life," she said. Nasreen said, "The appearance of the article is atrocious. In any of my writings I have never mentioned that Prophet Muhammad was against burkha. Therefore this is a distorted story."

The author said, "I suspect that it is a deliberate attempt to malign me and to misuse my writings to create disturbance in the society. I wish peace will prevail." The violence in Shimoga, the home town of Karnataka Chief Minister B S Yeddyurappa, left two persons dead, one of them in police firing on Sunday.

Full report here MSN India

No comments:

Post a Comment