Monday, February 22, 2010

Turning a digital page

Bookworms warm up to the e-reader, but the device will take a few years to catch on in India. When Gaurav Mishra, CEO of Delhi-based media consultancy 2020 Social, took a holiday to Miami last year, he spent seven days at the beach reading six paperless books. This was made possible by the Amazon’s e-reader Kindle.

“I bought the Kindle last year. When I returned from the US, I was willing to leave behind my collection of 2,000 books, since the e-reader could hold over 300 e-books,” says Mishra. Mishra is just one among many consumers who are happy with their e-reader purchase. An e-reader is a handheld reading device that can store a large number of digital books. A recent survey conducted by market research agency NPD Group claims 93 per cent of e-reader owners are “somewhat” or “very” satisfied with the device.


“What I really like about my e-reader is the audio feature. I can just lie back, while a book is read out to me. The fact that the device is so light and easy to carry is also a great motivation. I didn’t mind the high cost,” confesses Mishra. According to the survey, 60 per cent users said they liked the wireless feature in e-readers, while 23 per cent liked the touchscreen feature.

Full report here Business Standard

No comments:

Post a Comment