Saturday, February 27, 2010

‘Homosexuality is an uncontrollable feeling, like poetry’

“I am in the news every day these days... Friends update me on day-to-day news,” says Aligarh Muslim University (AMU) professor Srinivas Ramachandra Siras, who finds himself in the eye of a storm after being suspended for allegedly having sex with another man on the campus.

Siras was issued a ‘chargesheet’ by the university administration on Wednesday and asked to reply to the charges against him in 10 days. After being ordered out of his quarters and told not to leave town without permission, Siras has now rented a house in Aligarh.

“I have been getting calls from various gay rights groups pledging support, and I am considering taking their offer seriously,” he says. A poet, Siras got the Maharashtra Sahitya Parishad’s award for his 2002 collection, Grass Under My Feet.

Full report here Indian Express

No comments:

Post a Comment